Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fate of the Teton River and it's wild cutthroat

As a native of SE Idaho with the Teton River some 20 minutes from my house I have watched with a mixture of fascination and disgust as every year local state legislators and water companies try to introduce legislation to rebuild the dam. The dam that failed 30 some odd years ago, catastrophically. Strangely enough they want to build a new dam in the same geologically fractured area as the original dam, which seems to me a bad idea. Especially as my house sits in an area that could possibly be inundated if the dam was to fail again.............. a secondary concern to what the dam would do to one of the best cutthroat fisheries in the nation.

There is a good article at The Cleanest Line on the Teton. Go check it out. And a good TU Video.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, When I first heard the news a month or so ago, I thought For Sure I misunderstood. No such luck. I just don't get the logic of the proposal. BTW, The Cleanest Line piece was nice (those Craigheads are/were amazing).